Nevermind. I uninstalled the 1password :Chrome extension and
went back to the app to reinstall the browser extensions. Decided
to check for updates (even though I updated just a week ago) and
saw the latest update fixes a disconnect in Chrome to the helper.
Updated, reinstalled the browser extensions, and we're back to
Still kinda scary though...it was not pleasant to have my
browser passwords unlocked...
I've been having the red icon on my 1P chrome extension for a
couple weeks and the same problems described as above. I checked
for updates multiple time (1Password & Chrome. I uninstalled
and reinstalled the Plugin multiple times and I've deactivated all
my other plugins. I've restarted the app helper.
I still can't guess what the problem can be. I've been reading
the knowledgebase and forums, but I just can't guess what about my
environment is causing the conflict.