How do I install 1Password 3.9 if I already use a non-Mac App Store version?
Important: Your 1Password data is stored in a separate area than the app itself is. Moving 1Password 3.8 to the Trash will not harm your data.
Note: 1Password at the Mac App Store is a separate application which is also a separate purchase
You are currently using a version of 1Password downloaded from our website, please use these instructions before purchasing a copy from Mac App Store:
- Make sure you have the latest version of 1Password 3.8 installed by using 1Password > Check for Updates. This will install the latest version of the 1PasswordAgent process. The latest version will automatically remove itself when the Mac App Store version of 1Password is started.
- Move the old copy of the 1Password.app to Trash.
- Install 1Password from the Mac App Store.
The important thing to keep in mind is that the Mac App Store
version is sandboxed and has very limited access to your file
system. It can only store data in its Container folder
or in Dropbox.
If your data is already stored on Dropbox then 1Password will
keep using it. If you data was stored in the previously default
then it will be automatically moved into the Container.
If you already installed 1Password from the Mac App Store and now are not sure about which file to delete
Trash the marked one, the Mac App Store version will be stored in its own 1Password folder. After trashing the old one, you can either leave it as if or you can drag the 1Password.app out of its folder and put it in the root of the Applications folder.
- How To: Back up your 1Password data on the iOS devices before upgrading your iOS
- What to do if I lost my 1Password app or its data after upgrading my iOS devices?
- 1Password support for alternative browsers on iOS
- How do I sync my data between my iPhone and my iPad?
- Back up 1Password for iPhone and iPad using Windows
- View all
- How can I use the new two-factor authentication from Dropbox?
- Alternatives to Dropbox cloud syncing: iCloud, Google Drive, SkyDrive
- How To: Enable quick and automatic 1Password data sync with Dropbox
- How To: Sync your Mac and iPhone or iPod touch over Wi-Fi
- Can I share data between 1Password 3.9 (Lion) and 1Password 3.8 (Snow Leopard)
- View all (7 more)