How To: Create a new data file
Warning: This process is a last resort for existing users who need to create a new data file for storing 1Password information! It involves deleting the previous data file, which means deleting any Logins, Identities, Credit Cards, and other information stored in that data file. If you're trying to recover your 1Password information or Master Password, please check other documents before proceeding with this one.
Perhaps you tried 1Password a long time ago, don't remember your Master Password, and these recovery tricks didn't help. Or maybe you're in the process of rediscovering yourself and simply want to start over with a clean 1Password slate. Either way, you can create a new data file with a new Master Password by following these steps:
- Open the main 1Password app
- (For 1Password 3.9 users) Go to 1Password Menu > Preferences > Extension menu and uncheck the "Keep helper running ..." checkbox
- Now, go to the the 1Password Menu > Preferences > General
- Click on the file/folder path shown under "Your Data Stored In"
- A Finder window will open to show you the location of your current data file, and the file should be called "1Password.agilekeychain"
- Select this file and rename it to 1Password.OLDkeychain (add the word 'OLD' to the file name extension, no apostrophes)
- Quit 1Password
- Launch 1Password to begin the Master Password process and create your new data file
- How To: Back up your 1Password data on the iOS devices before upgrading your iOS
- What to do if I lost my 1Password app or its data after upgrading my iOS devices?
- 1Password support for alternative browsers on iOS
- How do I sync my data between my iPhone and my iPad?
- Back up 1Password for iPhone and iPad using Windows
- View all
- How can I use the new two-factor authentication from Dropbox?
- Alternatives to Dropbox cloud syncing: iCloud, Google Drive, SkyDrive
- How To: Enable quick and automatic 1Password data sync with Dropbox
- How To: Sync your Mac and iPhone or iPod touch over Wi-Fi
- Can I share data between 1Password 3.9 (Lion) and 1Password 3.8 (Snow Leopard)
- View all (7 more)