I just changed my Master Password, but my browser extension doesn't recognize it (Mac)
In some cases, the 1Password browser extension might not recognize when you change your Master Password in the main application, or if you start using a new data file (perhaps by double-clicking said file). In these cases, the extension might get stuck on the "Initializing..." message (pictured).
This is a bug we're working on squashing. In the meantime, to fix the problem you can reinstall or "reset" your browser extension. Here are instructions for each browser:
Step 1: Delete your current extension
Simply dragging the 1Password button out of your browser's toolbar does not actually uninstall the extension (this goes for any extension you use, not just ours). To truly uninstall the 1Password extension, follow these steps:
In Safari, select Safari > Preferences from the menu bar. On the Extensions pane, click on 1Password in the list of extensions then the "Uninstall" button.
- In Firefox, select Tools > Add-ons from the menu bar.
- Click the Remove button to remove the 1Password extension.
- Quit Firefox.
- In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar.
Copy and paste the following path and press Return:
OnePassword.sqlitefile you see there to the desktop.
Once everything is working well, you can safely move the
OnePassword.sqlite file on the desktop to the
In Chrome, select Window > Extensions from the menu bar. Click the "Remove" button next to the 1Password extension.
Step 2: Reinstall your extension(s)
- Open 1Password and unlock it with your Master Password.
- Select 1Password > Install Browser Extensions from the menu bar.
- Reinstall extensions for any browser(s) you use and they should now recognize your new Master Password.
- How To: Back up your 1Password data on the iOS devices before upgrading your iOS
- What to do if I lost my 1Password app or its data after upgrading my iOS devices?
- 1Password support for alternative browsers on iOS
- How do I sync my data between my iPhone and my iPad?
- Back up 1Password for iPhone and iPad using Windows
- View all
- How can I use the new two-factor authentication from Dropbox?
- Alternatives to Dropbox cloud syncing: iCloud, Google Drive, SkyDrive
- How To: Enable quick and automatic 1Password data sync with Dropbox
- How To: Sync your Mac and iPhone or iPod touch over Wi-Fi
- Can I share data between 1Password 3.9 (Lion) and 1Password 3.8 (Snow Leopard)
- View all (7 more)